C had PT about a month ago where we spoke of how we felt his verbal skills were a little on the slow side. There are two things that can cause this, one being that he is working on his gross motor skills, or because preemies have a high chance of being a little slow in speech.
At the time, C could only say ba ba, ma ma and la la. I felt that he could say bath (BAA), not ba. But they thought I was crazy.
This last few weeks I have been watching. C is now saying MaMa toward me, DaDa toward P, he is saying bath (BAA). Tonight I heard him say ball. He is will say yes (ya) and will shake his head no, okay this one is just too cute, and he knows it, so he does it all the time.
Well tonight I had some balls, blocks, and just random toys in front of C. I would ask him where's the ball? He would pick up the ball (and of course throw it). I would ask where's the block, and he would pick up the block (and eat it). In the 20+ times we did this he was right at least 15. Maybe it was coincidence, but I don't think so.
Then I would take two blocks and pound them together, he tried to copy me! This is a skill that PT has been working on for two months, and he finally got it!
Another skill we have been working on is hiding toys under blankets to see if C would search for them. He started doing this a few weeks ago.
I have seen a few things that worry me, but nothing major. I will be talking with PT about it on our next visit, but at this point I would just feel silly addressing it when my mind says it is normal.
I finally feel like I can say C is catching up. You would think I could look at children C's adjusted age and say yes he is doing that. But I see these children are a little more mature not only in appearance but in actions. I do know they had a head start, they baked the full nine months, but you can't help not to worry sometimes. But every time I worry just a little C catches up.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Baby brag!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That's so great Kim!!! You're doing a wonderful job with him :)
I think he is doing great Kim!
Yeah C! Keep up the good work proving to everyone that they don't need to worry!
Kim, you are doing a great job keeping C on top of things, and helping him get to where you feel he should be. You are one great Momma!
way to go caden!!! that's awesome, kim-- you are doing a great job with that little man :)
Post a Comment