Wednesday, December 16, 2009

C's PT

C had his monthly PT. It went so well!!

They first noticed that R who they do not come for is leaps and bounds above where she was just a few months ago. They really feel that preschool is helping, which I agree. They told me that R's teacher is one of the best in this area, YAY!!

Then with C, ALL the stiffness is gone. The tippy toe standing is gone! They fully expect him to be walking within the next month maybe two.

Gross motor skills, he is right in line with his actual age, fine motor skills he is right in line with his adjusted age. Cognitive, we are still seeing him lacking. He right now is about 2-3 months behind his adjusted age. We are hoping it is that he is working so hard on gross motor skills that his cognitive skills are taking a back burner. Which I knew that is a VERY common thing, their brain can only work on one thing at a time.

But all the warning signs of CP are gone. We still do not know what lasting effects we will see from C's birth. I also found out, the "rules for getting into PT".

1. Born in the 27th week -yes
2. Have one or more blood transfusions- yes C had 3.
3. Prolonged time on o2 (mainly the vent) - yes and no, if this was the only thing C would not have got in. He was only on the vent total 2 weeks.
4. Brain bleeds- no we got lucky.


So even if C had been born at 28 weeks. We still would have made it in, with just one of the three blood transfusions.

While I am thinking of it, blood transfusions.. Many of you may have the same thought I did. I kinda freaked out thinking my child was having someone elses blood pumped into his body. I asked them to let me donate for him. I found out it takes MONTHS to be screened for a NICU donor. C would be home before my blood would have been approved.





post signature

4 comments:

iiri said...

Woohoo for great PT! Sounds Like C is doing everything he can to put your mind at ease. He's such a trooper!

(and blood transfusion, yeah, eek, i remember thinking just that, and then being thankful that someone cared enough...)

Kate said...

yay for C!!! sounds like he is doing fantastic!

(& i STILL can't get to your blog on my reader. i have the right adress, but it keeps telling me it doesn't exist. i have to actually type it in... weird, right?)

Amanda said...

AWESOME! Sounds like he is doing perfect. What a trooper.

Kerry said...

Sounds like C is doing great!!!!

(For some reason, your blog posts haven't been showing up on my dashboard. Have no idea what is up with that.)