Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chickens and Mice

I know I have spoke before about my thing with mice. If I think there is a mouse in whatever I will not go in said place.

Part of this is from when I grew up. We lived next to a corn field and a cow field like this..

Growing up next to said corn field every harvest we had mice-lots of mice. You would open a drawer and find nests of mice. You would do laundry and find dead mice in the clean clothes. It was awful!

So... I grow up, and left this house and the mice behind me. Or so I thought. After my divorce I moved in with my mom (actually I moved in with her so I could get divorced) I have my horse, and they have their chickens, geese, and ducks. We also had raccoons (not by choice). To keep the raccoons from eating the birds, my step-dad built a chicken coop. Well guess what came with the coop? Mice and rats. Needless to say I never messed with the chickens. My step-dad would go out every night to feed the birds and to lock them up. Summer time he would flood the mouse holes. And every night the chickens would be waiting for him to do it. When he flooded the holes we had swarms of mice everywhere (never saw a rat but was told they were there). The chickens would hunt the mice. It was a cool sight to see the chickens kill the mice, but it was yucky enough I didn't get closer then I had to.

LOL so there is my chicken story!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Maybe i should invest in some chickens with D pushing all the trees down we have seen tons of mice and i hate them

Tabor Yen Smith said...

LOL and EEWWW!!!

tanya said...

i hate mice too...and last year just about every day i came home to a dead one. i think the cats were bringing them in because it was summer time so why would they want to be in the house when they can be outside...plus i saw one try to bring one in. i kinda got used to them though--not to the point that i was happy to see them but to the point that i could clean it up...lol. this year, it has been birds...ugh. it's been a while and i probably just jinxed myself but at least it's the weekend and dh is home if a bird does show up...lol