Monday, May 24, 2010

Tubes..

As most of you know C had his tubes done today. While I tried to put on a brave face for everyone saying I was not nervous, I lied. I slept maybe and this is a huge stretch 2 hours last night. I tossed, I turned and I freaked myself out. Even with a sleeping pill my mind would not shut off.

So we get up at 4 am, C man was up and ready to go. You would think the kid was also just as nervous (or excited?). We get to the surgery center just before 6 and hung out in the halls until they opened. We had the entire waiting room to ourselves until 6:30.

At 7 am they called us back, did all C's stats (which were not many) they tried to get a pulse ox, which failed. She asked if C sucked his thumb, oh no he don't. As soon as she let go of his hand he had his finger in his mouth pulling the probe off. The thermometer was sitting on the bed, when the phone rang he picked the thermometer up and said hello. She gave him some syringes (no needles) he had those torn apart and was bored with them within 10 minutes. So we let him wander (no one else was back there). He went and stood behind the counters trying to answer phones. And in general just being cute. They gave him a little ghost in a cup he had the lid off within minutes.

By this time it was time to go back. I picked him up gave him kisses handed him to the nurse who set him down and he walked back to the OR like he owned the place. I heard a small cry from him as we were headed to the waiting room. I sat down sent one text and read 2 pages in my book and we could hear him screaming his head off. We figured they just started, nope, he was DONE. Not even 15 minutes later.

We got back to recovery and boy was he pissed. He screamed for the next 15-20 minutes, like holding his breath screaming pissed. As he started to wake up he would not cry as hard or as long. The nurse came in took his stats and told us we could go. C has slept most the day today. I really hope it doesn't mean he isn't up all night..

In all it was not as horrible as my mind had made it. It was quick and easy. Now to wait on the results and see if this is what he needed.

4 comments:

iiri said...

Sounds like he enjoyed the morning anyway ;-). I'm sorry you weren't able to sleep either, that never helps nerves, but I am glad it was fairly quick.

Hopefully it helps, and you'll see improvement!

Kate said...

so glad it went well! C is such a little soldier, the kid jsut cracks me up! & extra ((hugs)) for you-- i'm glad you made it thru ok too. :)

really hoping this is the fix he needed!!!

mommylife said...

any surgery is really scary so I understand you not sleeping. I'm glad it was short and went well. :)

Michelle said...

Glad that this is behind you! And I agree, a quick procedure is still a surgery and when K had hers I wanted to throw up!!!!! But, thank goodness it's quick right?

I hope the rest of his day and tonight go well!

HUGS!!!!