Oh my it has been awhile. So here we are, at the end of summer and I haven't updated anything. Since I have major updates on all the kids we will go youngest to oldest.
Caden, he had his adenoids out, you seriously wouldn't have known he had major surgery even 4 hours later. He did have a little trouble waking up, but it was expected they gave him some sort of medication that would make waking up a little easier then it was the first time he had surgery. He is sleeping MUCH better, he is no longer snoring, and he is talking much clearer then he was prior to the surgery (even ST and OT thought so).
As many of you know we have been fighting with OT and ST for almost a year on the whole autism dx. They wanted me to take him into the office for an evaluation (August 24th) and see what the board had to say. I KNEW what they were going to say, they were going to say autism. Forget the fact that the only screening he ever failed was the one given to him when he was 18 months actual (15 months adjusted). His developmental pedi admitted herself they will fail the screening if it is done before they are 18 months adjusted. So 5 screenings and he has passed them. We are not talking the M-chat, we are talking the CARS screening which is more in depth.
So after watching him for about an hour, having some lady who doesn't know him interact with him they came back and said yes he has it. I still disagree. I think there is another issue at hand here they are not seeing. Yes there are markers, I admit there are markers, but some of the things they had listed as markers are issues he had months ago, not current ones. They say that is because he is in therapy. *sigh* whatever. I may not agree with them, BUT Caden is now approved for one of the best preschool programs you can ever hope to have your child in. I refuse to let this label interfere with him leading a normal life, I refuse to let him and the school use it as a crutch.
As far as the homeopathic drugs, we haven't had to dose Caden since May. I am seeing some signs that he is ready for another dose, he is starting to slow down on his learning, but it isn't the brick wall we were seeing before. So that is Caden in a nut shell. Oh and before I forget, they want him to have a blood test to rule out genetic conditions. I am going to go ahead with it, but I think it is going to come back normal.
Rylee, miss Rylee is now in kindergarten. Which has me stressed. NV adopted the new core standards http://www.corestandards.org/ which you can read about there. I think they are out of line, I think they are expecting way too much out of these kids. I had Rylee in preschool to you know give her a headstart, instead she learned NOTHING that the core standards expects out of her. She can sing pretty songs, she can write her name, she knows her numbers, colors, and shapes but knows nothing with it comes to ABCs and phonics. What little she does know is because I have been pushing it really hard this summer. She learned more from me this summer then she did in the two years she was in preschool. Over the summer she kept having these awful rashes come and go, we are talking she would be covered head to toe. I took her to the doctor who is certain it is allergies. So the end of this month we have a trip into the allergist (same office as Caden's pulmy) to see what is causing this. I am NOT looking forward to seeing my child allergy tested. The only thing that has me less stressed about it, Caden's pulmy told me which of the two allergy doctors to request, and which one is the quickest and more gentle. In the end, I just hope I am not putting my child through something that shows nothing.
Jade news, I am not sure that I mentioned but back in about April Kennedy made a smart remark about Jade not being able to hear. After further questioning I found that he wasn't kidding it was true. I made an appointment with the pedi (who I love) he did the easy hearing test on her, and found that she failed it 100% failed. So he sent us to an audiologist. We went into the audiologist to find that Jade had 75% + hearing loss in her right ear. Which lead us to an ENT (who I also love) the ENT wanted to rule out genetics (which we didn't fully rule out but any major things are a no) we had to do a CT scan, and a brain stem scan which both came back normal. We also had to go to a hearing aid place. So my 14 year old daughter now has to wear a hearing aid. The school was less then helpful (forget the fact they failed to notify me about two hearing tests that Jade had failed) finally I went and parked my butt in the principals office until they paid attention to me. Now they are willing to take a closer look at Jade, but for now they do not want to put her on any type of educational plan until we know how the hearing aids are going to work. Which we pick them up tomorrow.
Then we get to Ken. We have finally got him to agree to therapy, and *fingers crossed* medications. The meds we will know more next week. But after talking more about autism, I am wondering if maybe that is Ken's issues. They were telling me all the signs in a teenager, and every.single.one fit Ken. This is something I am going to have to explore more.
And that is that, that is my summer in a nut shell, lots of running to doctors, and not rest at all.

0 comments:
Post a Comment