Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Here we go again.


Back in about May I signed Caden up for a program that offers respite care. I just wanted to be able to go to the freaking grocery store alone.

It took them two months before they even came out for the home visit strike one. The guy comes out tells me the ins and outs tells me they MAY need ONE evaluation. Fast forward to August and the lady meets me in an office for two hours, at the end of the two hours she said "I'm not sure on him he is too social for autism". I get a call several days later her telling me she doesn't think he has autism she thinks he is "mentally retarded" Strike two. I don't care if it is a valid medical dx, I want to know where the hell she came up with this after two hours.

I contacted the school and had them complete an IQ test on Caden, it came back at average, the only issue is Caden sees everything in black and white. There is no middle ground, no small details, which lowers his IQ, but the best guess they have is his IQ is average range.  He made so much progress in OT, they were able to drop him to once a week, and he is actually ABOVE level on grasping. His PT, while still behind he is making huge progress. ST he is at level but there are some issues she would like to work on (truth be told she loves Caden so she is going to find something).

The lady comes out the day after I faxed her all of the test results for Caden  observes him, and calls me several days later saying he wasn't engaging with the other kids, and she wants to do an ADOS (autism screen) on him. You mean ANOTHER autism screen? This makes I believe #8 or maybe #10. But lets go back to her comment "I'm not sure on him he is too social". She said no autism because he is social, and now she is saying he wasn't engaging with the other students.

WTF is it? Does he or doesn't he? Remember we have played this game before I am quite frankly tired of it. Grocery shopping alone is totally not worth it.


0 comments: