C had his normal monthly PT today.. I will warn you I am not happy (happy is so not the word I am reaching for).
They came in, C was just a beast. He skipped every nap today minus the 30 minutes in the high chair when I was getting his lunch (no it didn't take 30 minutes to prepare, I left him when I found him sleeping). He wanted nothing to do with the ladies period. Most the time was spent with me holding him, and cuddling.
When he was not in melt down, he is doing the skills they want to see him doing. He is crawling (duh) he is pulling to a stand; the proper way, on one knee with the other leg bent. He can't figure out how to get down yet, but that is a 12 month skill.
We are still seeing a lot of stiffness in his legs, they are hoping it will work its self out.
I got the answer on how to figure his adjusted age, he was 13 weeks premature, so he is 3 months 1 week less. So seeing his birthday is one week away, his adjusted age would be 8 months 2 weeks. I feel so stupid, why I could never figure that out before now.
Now to the part I am not happy about. WARNING, for those who do this great, but it is not my "style". They want me to teach C sign language. You got to be kidding. They explained why, but I still think it is stupid. The only people who will understand are the people in this house.
They also want me to work with C on sounds other than Ba Ba. Which we have been, he finally can say La La. They want me to work with him on lifting his arms, clapping, and waving bye bye. Also they want me to work with him on looking for dropped items. Right now if it drops he doesn't care.
I did ask them about C melting down in large groups. They said that is a normal preemie issue, which I knew. But them telling me so helps with the stupid comments i.e he isn't a preemie anymore.
A lot of what they want me to do, I am already doing. So besides the stupid sign language thing all is well.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Physical Therapy..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
yeah I wasn't a fan of teaching Noah sign language either. I tried some things but he would learn to just say the word faster than he learned the sign. I just don't see that it is needed for us. And it was really confusing trying to remember all the different signs myself LOL.
Sign language, I don't know it myself (although I do have a deaf customer, so I wish I knew some...). But yeah, no need, it's your call Kim, entirely.
and ~hugs~ he is doing great! You are working just as hard as he is to get these skills.
It worked well for us and didn't really delay talking because we always said the word with the sign so while he signed it to us first (8ish months) by 10-11 months he would also say it.
It's totally up to you, but even at 19 months sometimes it is still convenient to sign silently to him when it's noisy or even in awkward situations where a toddler screaming "CUP CUP CUP CUP" would be unliked.
Post a Comment