Tuesday, May 18, 2010

More on the autism

The more I have watched C the more I think it is wrong.

I know he has a delay, they know he has a delay. Almost every one of his delays has to do with speech.

C had an appointment with his pulmy (just a standard check up nothing serious). We talked about the screening. She looked at me like I was insane. She said that while she is not an expert she doesn't think he has autism. He was able to hold eye contact with her, he interacted with her.

She then went on to tell me about a friend who had a preemie. She didn't go into details, but told me that it took until he was THREE before he said his first word. Once he said his first word you could not shut the kid up. He had his full vocab, but refused to use it.

We got talking about his cold he had two or three weeks ago. She asked how many times we had to give breathing treatments. She then looked back in his chart saw that he has had two episodes of wheezing. It only takes three for them to say asthma. She did mention that she is sure it is something we are going to see come out at a later date. Okay I can deal with that! I know we are going to see something come up. I know C is not in the clear. I know most major things (autism pending) he has cleared.

His next appointment, he will be meeting with the BIG boss. The one that is like a pulmy god in this area. Only the sickest of the sick see her. So you may be asking why is he seeing this doctor. He has to now see every doctor in the practice at least once. That way if we have an emergency (not that we are thinking we will) we will have at least met with all the doctors.

And here I thought this might be the last time he went to this clinic. I think he will be seeing them for years still. Not that it is a bad thing, this is the clinic that has found everything.

2 comments:

iiri said...

I'm really happy that your fears of C's being autistic are relieved by the pulmy. That has to make your head be in a better place.

~hugs~

Amanda said...

My MIL has always told me that DH's big bro didn't talk until he was 2. And once he started he wouldn't stop lol.

I'm glad you are feeling better about the autism fears. The fact that he engages in pretend play (talking on the phone, playing cars ect) makes me think that it is really just a delay.