Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Caden's birth story and the first week of life

It has taken me this long to try to gather my thoughts on all of this. I am sure I will miss something.

On Nov 19th at 5:30 am I woke up to find not only was I covered in blood so was the bed. I called my nurse who came running in, put me on the monitors. It took a few moments to find Caden's heart, and the whole time I am freaking the hell out. It was music when we finally found it (he had went from fully breech to fully transverse). My nurse is standing there watching Caden's heart and sees that I am having contractions. She asked if I could feel them, I said I could feel a balling up feeling but no pain. I was contracting every 45 seconds. She went got the Terb gave me the shot, but it was useless. It slowed the contractions down, but they would not stop.

At 8 am my Dr came in and told me to prepare we might be having a baby. He checked me I was still closed, but there was a lot of blood pooling. He decided that he wanted to just watch me for awhile, but if things got bad I would have the c/section immediatly. The rest of the day my contractions would come and go, and the bleeding would slow down, then pick up. At about 12 the nurse came in and told me, I was having him that day at 4. Everyone was on call and ready to go.

At 315 my nurse came in and told me, well we are not sure. Dr Oki just wishes your body would tell us what to do (at that point I had not had any contractions for almost a hour) but the final call was going to be made at about 330. 345 rolls around, in comes Dr Slotnick, he lets me know yes you are having the baby RIGHT NOW. Dr Oki comes in and explains that at most I had 24 hours to go. They wanted to deliver when everyone was awake and ready rather than a 3 am birth.

At 4 pm I was wheeled down to the OR, the spinal was given, and again I LOVE Dr Slotnick, he held me the entire time, gave me his hand to squeeze, and just talked me through it. At 415 the first cut was made. At 423 pm Caden came into this world weighing 2 lbs 7 oz and 14 inches long, he was a lot bigger than any of us expected. We had asked not to be told what was going on, so all I heard were times. The anesthesiologist asked if we were having a boy or a girl, we said a boy, he said well it is a boy. That is the ONLY way we knew Caden was here. Fast forward to what seemed like an eternity, they rolled Caden up for me to see before he went to the NICU. He was so tiny, but very alert. I think he has dark blue eye, but I am not sure I have only seen them once and it was when he was in the isolette. I was amazed that he had as much hair as he did, which looks black, but it is a med brown.

The first 24 hours in a preemies life is the hardest, Caden sailed through with no problems. It has been this last few days that the two steps forward one step back has kicked our butts. Caden has a hole in his heart, which is normal, it normally closes at birth. Caden's hasn't. He was taken off the feedings so they could give him a med to close that valve. (I had a nurse tell me he was not tolerating them NO he CAN'T be on them with the meds). If the valve doesn't close with these meds, he will be given one more round, then it is surgery. They thought Caden might have an infection, which let me tell you, when you have a preemie those are the words you DON'T want to hear. The blood test came back last night, he does not have an infection, but the 6 hours before we knew was the longest 6 hours of my life.

So that is that, the almost first week of my 27 weekers life.

0 comments: